The First Cumberland
Presbyterian Church was built in 1876 at the corner of Chestnut and SE
Second Streets (facing Chestnut), replacing an older church
building. The congregation joined with Grace Presbyterian Church
at Mulbury and Second to become First
in 1908. The First Cumberland church building
was sold to the Masons in 1911, and a portion of the building continues
to exist as part of the Scottish Rite Temple.
The Jefferson Avenue
Cumberland Presbyterian Church was built in 1911. In 1924 a new organ
was installed in the Walnut Street
, and their old organ was sold to the Jefferson
Avenue Church where the case was still being used as of 1946 (probably
the case pictured above).
The Jefferson Avenue Church later had a small Wicks organ of around ten
ranks, totally enclosed in chambers, with the facade pictured having
been removed. This probably took place after the
remodelling of the building in 1951. The church was closed in
2003 at which time the Wicks organ was offered for sale. The
building has been used since by an inner-city ministry.
Photo of the First Cumberland Church from Historic Evansville website:
Accessed March 4, 2011)