Ttreasuring the past;
creating a future!
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE EVANSVILLE CHAPTER
The Evansville AGO Chapter was established in 1961 (photo below). Since then the chapter has grown from the original 17 charter members, all residents of Evansville, Indiana, to dozens of members from throughout the Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois tri-state area.
For more than fifty years we have offered workshops, recitals, newsletters, and monthly meetings to promote the organ and choral music in our region. The chapter created the Mamie Dufford Scholarship Fund (named after our first dean) and we offer scholarships to encourage local students to study organ. Today we have a growing presence on the internet through our website and social media. We are proud sponsors of weekly Pipedreams broadcasts on WNIN public radio in Evansville. We have commissioned the composition of music featuring the organ. While it was active, we worked closely with the University of Evansville chapter.
In 1997 our chapter sponsored the AGO Region V Convention. Participants came from throughout Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and beyond to take part in the highly successful and inspiring convention. In the summer of 2009 we hosted the national Pipe Organ Encounter Advanced (POEA) along with the Student Chapter at the University of Evansville.
In 2016 our chapter purchased, and moved from a closed church in Ohio, a small mechanical-action organ built around 1900 by Edmund Giesecke, who built organs in Evansville from 1872 until 1928. Fundraising is currently underway to restore this instrument and make it available for concerts, services and educational purposes in the Evansville area.