GIESECKE ORGAN HISTORY:
This organ was built in the Evansville shop of
Göttingen-born organbuilder Edmund Giesecke
(1845-1928), and installed in St. John Lutheran
Church in Maribel, Wisconsin in 1889. St. John
Lutheran Church, built in the 1860s, was a
wood-framed church and the Giesecke organ was
installed in the rear balcony. In 1925 the
organ was moved into St. John's new brick church
building. The 1925 move corresponds with the
cessation of dated graffiti on the back pipes,
presumably provided by “pumping boys” who left their
signatures and the dates on the bass pipes.
(Information provided in part by David Wagner, Elder
at St. John Lutheran Church.)
In 1962 the organ was donated to St. Timothy
Lutheran Church, a "mission church" in Maumee,
Photo of former St. Timothy Church
chancel, posted on Hosanna Lutheran Church's Facebook
page in 2011
St. Timothy Lutheran merged with Arlington Avenue
Lutheran Church of Toledo OH in 2011, becoming
Hosanna Lutheran Church, which eventually moved to a
new location in Monclova OH.
The Evansville chapter purchased the organ in 2016
from then current owners of the former St. Timothy
church who were planning to convert the building
into housing. Helen Skuggedal Reed played a
crucial role in making contacts, gathering
information and encouraging the chapter and
community to embrace this project.
Restoration was completed by Taylor and Boody
Organbuilders in 2018.
Giesecke organ can now be heard and played at First
Presbyterian Church in Evansville.